Monday, 5 October 2015

E-learning, step in right direction—OAU VC

The Director of the Obafemi Awolowo University Centre for Distance Learning, Prof. Michael Adeyeye, has described e-learning as a step in the right direction.
Adeyeye stated this just as the centre opens entries for the 2015/2016 academic session. The centre offers programmes in Accounting, Economics and Nursing.

The OAUCDL boss, who spoke against the successful completion of the first semester examinations for the 317 students currently enrolled in the programme, noted that the initiative was the way for the future.
He added, “We are excited about the success of this programme. It opens up opportunities for everybody to go to school. These include workers who want to further their studies while retaining their jobs and students who are qualified for admission but are denied due to space constraints.
“We are no longer limited by space and location. We have students from different states in Nigeria participating in the programme and we even have enquiries from outside Nigeria.
“The e-learning programme is a step in the right direction. The existing higher institutions can only admit one-third of degree-seeking Nigerians. E-Learning, therefore, is the way of the future.”
Olawole Adebiyi, a 100 level nursing student of the programme, said it offered him enough opportunities to interact with both his lecturers and colleagues.
He added, “I have access to my lectures anytime and anywhere on my tablet. The lectures are also available for off-line viewing. So I do not have to worry about Internet connection. I can pause, rewind or fast-forward a lecturer. With VigiConnect on my tablet, I chat with my colleagues and lecturers. The flexibility is just awesome. I am proud to be associated with the great work that OAU has started.”
The Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Bamitale Omole, had, during their matriculation last year, assured the students that the programmes were not inferior to the conventional ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment